We’ve said it before: the healthier and fitter you are, the better your diving experience will be. An active lifestyle and a nourished body benefits you as a diver in so many ways.
Being active and exercising regularly does not mean that you are healthy. It goes a little further than just burning calories. In addition to a exercising regularly, you will need to change your diet, remove a few bad habits, and make healthier choices.
Here are 5 easy-to-implement tips to help you live your healthiest life:
- Start eating clean. Ensure that the foods you eat are as organic as possible. Stay away from processed foods that contain colourants, flavourants, additives and anything that has no nutritional value. Eat more from the earth, and less from a box.
- Prepare all your meals yourself, and use organic, raw, healthy ingredients as much as possible. Remove things like chocolates, fizzy drinks, oily foods and even already-prepared meals from your favourite grocery store. Prepare your meals for every day so that there is always something healthy for you to eat. When we are unprepared, we tend to grab at the nearest meal and we end up eating unhealthy takeaways or processed meals that does more damage than good. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
- Stay away from sugar. Start by removing sugar from your tea/coffee and cereals. If you have to, replace it with an alternative like a sweetener, but it is better to just get rid of it completely. Once you get used to this change, take it a step further. Challenge yourself and remove all sweets, chocolates and snacks containing sugar from your diet. Once you’ve mastered this, start looking for the hidden sugars in your diet, like sugars in sauces and certain processed foods – start removing these foods or replace them with sugar-free alternatives. Sugar is addictive – it is as simple as that. It releases dopamine in the brain; the feel-good chemical that we refer to as a ‘sugar-high’. The less you have of it, the less you will crave it. The more you have of it, the more you will want it.
- If you are thirsty, drink water. There are hidden sugars, additives, colourants and flavourants in most drinks. Yes, even in fruit juice and iced tea!
- Make healthier choices. As much as you want to be as healthy as possible, you are only human, and you will experience cravings. Remember, you need to break a few bad habits, and this takes time. As long as you always try to make the healthiest choice when it comes to what you consume, you are already there. It is important to have everything in moderation. Your diet needs to be maintainable – not a short-term solution. Have a chocolate every now and then if you want to. It is all about balance. Just make sure that you stick to healthy meals 80% of the time. And when you do give in to your cravings, choose the healthiest option of what you are craving: dark chocolate instead of milk; popcorn instead of crisps; sushi instead of a pizza.
We hope the above tips will help you get one step closer to living a healthier lifestyle so that you can enjoy diving and life a lot more.
Let us know in the comments below if you have any healthy tips to share with the #GekoFit community.